Frequently Asked Questions About Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney is a document that helps you deal with the issue of managing your finances when you are unable to do so, for example, if you become mentally incompetent. Alternative exist, such as living trust, but this is the most common way of handling this life situation.

Pick someone who you really trust. They can be either a close relative or someone you have known for a long time. Don’t trust your affairs to anyone who you think might not follow your wishes. If you choose an attorney or accountant as your agent, there is usually a fee. Family members will usually perform agent duties for free. Choose someone with financial smarts – your financial affairs will probably be better managed by someone who manages their own financial affairs carefully and effectively. Discuss the issue with your potential agent first and express your values and wishes with regard to how your affairs should be handled. This also gives the agent an opportunity to consider and communicate to you whether he or she is willing anable to handle the responsibilities.

Video link:

What if my agent doesn’t act in my best interests or follow my wishes?A number of agent provisions are included. These provisions clarify issues related to how the agent handles your affairs including: accounting of the agent’s actions, compensation and misconduct.Am I allowed to change my agent?

You may change your mind about the agent you selected. You can revoke a signed POA document at any time, regardless of the reason. If you are unsure about the person you selected as your agent, you may choose to revoke the POA and select a different agent. This should be done in writing should using a Revocation of Power of Attorney document, and you must provide notice to the agent under the POA that you are revoking.General: Your agent will have very broad authority to manage your financial and personal affairs. Your agent will have the legal authority to make gifts, operate a business, grant a disclaimer power, make living trust transfers and handle a personal residence.

Article Source: